Ever since the pandemic the demand for raw honey has increased, thanks to its immunity-boosting properties. People are now moving towards a healthy lifestyle more than ever. Raw Honey is one such product that has been replaced with sugar and other variants by most households. With the ever-expanding market of honey, people have always shown their concern regarding its purity. To know what raw honey is and how you can check its purity, continue to read on.
What is Raw Honey?
Raw honey is the natural sweet syrup extracted from honeycombs. The honey is then poured on a nylon cloth to separate the enzymes, beeswax and other impurities. Now that you know what raw honey is, let’s find out what are the benefits of consuming it.
Benefits of Raw Honey
A versatile product like raw honey not only goes with tea but also with buns, toast and the list goes on. Besides this, it also contains bee pollen and propolis that acts as antioxidants. Raw honey consists of anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties. This type of honey prevents the growth of bacteria and has a low moisture content.
To experience these perks, get your bottle of raw honey today to add sweetness to your health.
What Is the Difference Between Raw and Organic Honey?
Nowadays, with various brands advertising and claiming to sell the best raw honey, it is difficult to differentiate between fake and original honey. This is why it is always a good idea to know what type of honey you want to buy. There are many types of honey. For instance: organic honey and Manuka honey. The terms raw and organic honey are often interchangeably used but they are different. Organic honey is produced from the pollen of organically grown plants, and without chemical miticides to treat the bees.
How to Check Purity of Raw Honey at Home?
Store-bought honey has labels on it. It has information about the additives and additional substances that have been added to the produced honey. The good news is you don’t have to read those lengthy, hard-to-read labels. You can check the purity of raw honey yourself at home. Here are a few ways:
Perform a Flame Test
- Take a matchstick or a cotton swab and place it on the honey.
- Then, light the cotton swab with the matchstick. If the swab easily lights up, it means that the honey is adulterated.
The Thumb Test
- Take a drop of honey on your thumb.
- If it spills like any liquid, it means that the honey is not pure.
- Pure raw honey is thick in texture and would stay intact on your thumb.
The Water Test
This is another way to check the purity of your honey.
- Take some water in a glass/ cup.
- Put a spoonful of honey in it.
- If the honey easily dissolves in the water, that would be the fake one.
- But, if it settles at the bottom of the cup, you guessed it right. That’s pure honey.
Test the Purity with Vinegar
- Take a few drops of honey and pour it into the vinegar-water mixture.
- If you notice a foam generation, it means your honey is impure.
There are several ongoing debates on various other methods that people use to check the purity of honey. But, if you are searching for quality raw honey online, then Namma Veedu is the only store that you must visit. Along with selling raw honey, there are other organic products such as ghee, palm jaggery and millets you might like.
Yummy muffins with Raw Honey:
Enhance your regular muffins by adding some raw honey to the muffin mixture.
- Take a bowl and pour the wet ingredients:
- ½ cup softened butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup raw honey
- 1 spoon vanilla essence
- Mix the wet ingredients well.
- Then take a strainer and put 1 cup of whole wheat flour along with ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Fold the batter till the lumps disappear and then put it in a greased container.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 280 degrees F.
Et Voila, the hot honey muffins are ready to serve!